Friday, September 10, 2010

Embrace Your Beauty


So I had decided last night after watching the CW’s latest 90’s reboot, Nikita, that it was best that I take some time to reflect and sleep on the events that unfolded during the nine o’clock hour. After all there is only so much my brain can absorb. Between the stunningly perfect Maggie Q to the parade of familiar faces from TV past to all the twists and turns in an attempt to out smart Division, I was definitely in need of some R & R before getting down to business.

Now, there are few shows (The O.C, Ugly Betty, Glee) that I have instantly fallen in love with, but when it happens, its magic. Sadly, Nikita was not one of those shows. Don’t get me wrong, Nikita was far from awful, it was actually high octane, good quality entertainment. A strong cast led by and even stronger lead, fairly decent writing and the over all quality of the show was great. Its the “been there, done that” factor that wavers my decision between Good TV and Outstanding TV.

Knowing Nikita was a remake of the popular 90’s series and movies, I made sure to go into it with an open mind clear of any judgements, and that plan worked, right up until we found out that Nikita’s boyfriend Daniel, was killed ala Division and thus took me right back to that night in 2001 when I cried along side Sydney Bristow as she held her fiancé Danny’s bloody corpse in her arms, slain by the very people she thought she was working for! It was this action that propels Sydney’s…I mean Nikita’s plan into action. Her mission: take down Division from the inside out! So it may not be a carbon copy of the original and there may be a few similarities to ABC’s former spy drama Alias, that being said, the new Nikita packs enough punch to set it aside from any gun tooting, ass kicking femme fatal past.

Part of the charm that Nikita (the show not the character) had was the home sweet home feeling I got upon seeing some of my old TV friends like Julie Cooper, Dr. Ray Barnett and George Mason (who was last seen saving the world on 24). Lyndsay Fonseca, who has come a long way since her days in Genoa City, actually managed to keep me interested with her ‘don’t mess with me’ attitude. I actually found myself rooting for her. And I must give kudos to the person who cast Maggie Q as the sexy and (CW certified) fierce Nikita!
Above all else, this show definitely delivered with a good story, well developed three dimensional characters and a healthy competitive timeslot with a great lead-in. Hopefully, once CSI and Grey’s Anatomy find there way back from summer hiatus, viewers will have realized that shows about doctors and forensic examiners are soooo last decade!

No comments:

Post a Comment